Puxton Farm Estate Sustainability Statement
Any business operating in such a beautiful location has a responsibility to nurture its environment. We are really excited about the future and have many plans to improve our carbon footprint, working towards becoming carbon neutral. Across our 1600 acres of lush, rich Somerset farmland, we want to improve our food miles and aspire to supply or locally source all of our goods, providing our guests with true provenance and the best that Somerset has to offer. We believe the tastiest and healthiest meat is produced from animals reared in the most natural way. Our farmers honour natural systems and farm in ways that increase bio-diversity and regenerate the land, having a positive impact on the British countryside.
Our Eco-Friendly & Sustainable features:
- Our cattle and flock are moved daily to fresh pastures where they enjoy a tasty fresh salad bar of grasses, clovers and herbs at their nutritional peak
- Tens of thousands of trees and miles of hedgerows planted to provide a natural carbon sink
- 900 solar panels on barns and sheds generate 210kW solar power
- We always follow natural principals – avoiding wherever possible fertilisers and pesticides, encouraging soil fertility
- We are FWAG & Red Tractor assured ensuring the best quality of life for our cattle, resulting in the best quality meat
- Soil sequestration through natural and regenerative farming practises
- Sustainable farming practices reduce pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, use less energy and no pesticides, better for resident wildlife as well as people who live close by
- The presence of wildflower meadows and clover rich pastures to support dwindling populations of native pollinators including butterflies, moths and bees
- All of our meat is pasture grazed and has access to open land and fresh air. Our cows will never be allowed to graze pasture with less than 0.66 acres per cow, per grazing season.